Medicines Information Centre (MIC) is a center where healthcare providers obtain up-to-date and evidence-based information about prescribed medications or other ingredients. It serves as a source of reliable medical information for pharmacists, doctors, nurses, other healthcare professionals, researchers or academicians. It is manned by a specially trained pharmacist known as the Medicine Information (MI) Pharmacist.
The public also benefits from the center.
The MIC uses databases and journals (electronic & print) and specialist texts to explore up-to-date information from available researches globally to give unbiased and most current information on the queries generated. Our MI Pharmacist is trained in information retrieval and analysis.
Functions of the Medicines Information Centre are
- Enquiry Answering (passive information service): the medicines information centre provides not just data but unbiased advice from the data generated on medicines and might obtain information from other credible sources like clinician’s experience.
- Provision of Anticipated Information (active information service): The MIC anticipates the information needs of healthcare professionals and provides the information through Bulletins, Medical journals and so on.
- Education and Training: the MI Pharmacist organizes and gives training to pharmacy staff and lectures about medicines to healthcare professionals
- Quality Assurance: The MIC helps with quality assurance of other services by checking written materials such as memos about medicines.
- New Medicine Update: The MI Pharmacist sees to the archiving of old information on medicines, monitoring of medicines in development and newly marketed medicines. The MI Pharmacist also advices the Drug and Therapeutics Committee on new drugs.
Hours of operation: 9:00am – 5:00pm, Monday to Friday. We make every effort to answer urgent inquiries within 2 to 24 hours. Non-urgent requests are answered within 48 hours, unless otherwise indicated. We are closed on public holidays
Medicines Information Centre
Walk in: 32 Faramobi Ajike Street Anthony Village, Lagos
- To improve and enhance the quality of patient care in Nigeria through effective communication with healthcare professionals
- To support the safe and efficient use of medicines by provision of accurate medical information to the community.
- Provide current and comprehensive resources for the healthcare professionals, students, academics and the general public.
- Deliver quality health information to healthcare professionals
- Implement quality assurance and improvement procedures to ensure quality, efficient and effective services to healthcare professionals, students, academia and the community.
To submit an enquiry please click on enquiries and complete the form.
Examples of enquiries you may want to make:
- Therapeutic use
- Route of administration
- Adverse Reactions/side effects
- Drug compatibility
- Drug dosing and administration Interactions
- Drug availability
- Herbal medications
- Product identification
- Tablet/Capsule identification
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Pharmacy laws
It would be impossible to list every type of question we have the resources to address. Please do not hesitate to contact us even if your question is outside the scope of these categories.